Saturday, June 13, 2009

Here Comes the (California) Sun

When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera, the cartoon producers who created Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Quick Draw McGraw, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and, perhaps most importantly, Jonny Quest. A little later in life, I wanted to grow up to be John Lennon. So you can imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon this vintage TV commercial for Kellogg's Raisin Bran. The stars are Pixie, Dixie and Mr. Jinks, who appeared on The Huckleberry Hound Show. The narrator (as always) is Don Messick, who also voices Pixie. Dixie and Mr. Jinks are voiced by the legendary Daws Butler. Hanna-Barbera were keen observers of the popular culture and The Beatles were frequently referenced in their cartoons. Here is a classic example. You gotta see this!

No comments:

Post a Comment